Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hike in the Hills

The hike began in a little Tuscan town called Fiesole, which overlooks Florence from a nearby hillside. I admit I was abit worried when we began hiking large street hills, I really wanted this to be trail hiking and I would be very disappointed if it was just a simple walk through the town. Thankfully we made it to a trail head on the outskirts of town were our 10 mile hike would begin, the sights were spectacular!



We visited the cliff where Leonardo da Vinci supposedly tried to fly his paper and wood flying machine, there was even a stone to commemorate it. Very cool!


We even got to see old evidence of tool markings on stone faces were Stone masons and artists cut their stone to create building blocks and sculpture!






The hike took us through the wooded area and into the country side were there were many an olive tree and a few local homes along the dirt roads.





Anyway, the trip lasted 5 hours and we ended it in another little town that for the life of me I cannot remember the name, all I know is it was a 30 minute bus ride from Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment