Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Festa della Donna

Along with living in a different country comes interesting Italian celebrations that just creep up on me as I go about my daily life. Today is International Women's Day, a festival observed in some European countries (including Italy) where women are celebrated.

The Yellow Mimosa Plant

In Italy, the yellow Mimosa flower is given out to women on the streets (sometimes for a fee if you take it!) and is sold in the stores so that men may buy them for the women in their life. Here in Florence for the day all state Museums are also free of charge for women, which is pretty awesome I mean what a great gift! There are also various other perks at clubs and restaurants but go figure I got the most excited over the museums even though majority of the ones in this city I can get in free of charge with my Friends of the Uffizi Card. Oh well, it is kinda neat to be special for a day!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment