Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Italy v. America


Heres alittle bit of cultural differences I've been learning about Italians as I've lived with them these past couple months. There are people who speak English but it is few and far between where I live in Florence unless I go to a souvenir store or some store in a very touristy area. I wouldn't have it any other way though because while I'm here I want to speak Italian, not a language I can speak anytime when I go back home.

* Italians do not believe in ice, it just doesn't exist. I had a spider bite earlier in the semester and when it was suggested to put ice on it to stop the swelling I had a devil of a time finding even an ice pack.

* Homes are heated with radiators and there are no air conditioning units anywhere unless you go to a hotel. Even bars and restaurants lack air conditioning because it is unneeded, these places are designed so the large windows open like doors and let air flow in and out. Residences use a series of functional shutters in order to air out the home. Also as far as appliances go Italians don't do dryers because of the energy it wastes, they hand the laundry on a line.

* Traffic signals are a guideline, walk at your own risk even on crossings, especially in Roma. Stop signs are also optional so don't walk unless your sure you won't get hit!

* Italians love a clean street, street cleaners are constantly cleaning the streets and sidewalks in order to keep the city sanitary.

* It is considered odd to get your food to-go, Italians like to relax and enjoy their meals whether it be in the bar they bought it in or chilling at some nearby piazza.

* Italians do not know how to anticipate, which probably comes from their lack of personal space. I have more then one occasion ran into someone trying to avoid people on the sidewalk or in a piazza.

* Italians eat late on all occasions and dinner can last up to three hours. Which is no surprise considering all the courses one has at dinner. Cappuccino or espresso is commonly served after the meal as a sort of palette cleanser.

* Places of business are more likely to be closed on Monday then they are on Sunday.

* The take on drinking anything alcholic is very different here too. I know back at my university I had roommates that would drink to get drunk and just drink way too much in general. Drinking is an art form here in Italy, rarely anyone gets drunk in public except the idiot American students living here. In Florence drunk American students seems to be a popular joke among the locals.

* Metric metric metric!!!

* Staring is an invitation, so if you don't know someone don't stare at them directly.

* It is my experience that no Italian really hates Americans, there are two types of Italians: The ones that are curious and will try to practice their English on you and the ones that just simply don't care.

There are certainly more differences but that is all I have for now. Perhaps there will be another installment!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment