Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hiking in the Alps

So the weekend after Spring Break I went with the university on a trip to Verona, Garda Lake, and a small town in the Italian Alps. Sadly this was my last full blown trip and it really makes me realize my time is limited in Florence now, sad but at the same time I know there is tons more stuff I need to see and do so my friend and I have made a list!

Anyway, back to the Alps trip. I have always been a real fan of hiking and general outdoors, I was a girl scout who had the opportunity to frequent summer camp and I have backpacked/rock climbed/whitewater canoed with Outward Bound. So when I heard of an opportunity to take my hiking shoes to the Alps I was all for it! First we stopped in Verona, the city best known for it's Roman Amphitheater and the Story of Romeo and Juliet. Sorry Shakespeare fans but all the sights from the book are fakes, toursit attractions. (Juliet's balcony, tomb, etc.) Shakespeare probably never went to Italy, just read manuscripts on feuding families. Still, it is a very gorgeous city!





Next came our trip to Garda Lake and Sirmione, a lovely resort peninsula with Roman ruins, gorgeous sights, and a boat ride around the peninsula!







After the lake we stayed in a Hotel in a small town outside Garda Lake, I got together with some friends and we went out for a short night around the little city. The bars and restaurants were bustling with people watching the Milan football game verse some other Italian city, all I know is they were winning and there were alot of Italians not too happy about it! Here are some sites:



The next day we traveled to Pinzolo so we could meet our guides for the hike. They were awesome guides but knew limited Italian so we all got to use our Italian in attempt to talk with them. They were really good sports about it and showed us some pretty amazing sites, there was even still some snow and ice on some of the trails which made for good pictures.







Me going into an ice/moss tunnel!

It was a wonderful time had by all, I only wish we could have stayed longer!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment